SOURCE: Prof. Andrew J. Waychoff article, Waynesburg College Bulletin, alumni newsletter of Waynesburg College, Waynesburg, Pennsylvania, February 1927 issue, page 1, column 1-2; page 2, column 1-2; page 3, column 1.
Photo Caption: "Prof. Andrew J. Waychoff '73. To whose memory this issue is dedicated" (Photo on page 1.)
With the deepest feeling we dedicate this copy of the new bulletin to Prof. Andrew J. Waychoff, the most recent of our alumni to be taken from us and without doubt one of the most distinguished graduates and best loved professors in the history of Waynesburg College.
A member of the faculty of this institution for forty-one years with the exception of an occasional leave of absence, Prof. Waychoff's passing is the fourth of that well known quintet of instructors who served so long and faithfully together on the teaching staff of the College. Prof. E. D. Stewart, now head of the Department of Mathematics and Greek is the only living member of that famous group. The other three were Dr. A. B. Miller, President of the College for forty years and founder of the main building, Prof. Walter G. Scott, Professor of Mathematics, and Prof. James R. Rinehart, Professor of Languages.
Prof. Waychoff taught geology for many years and was considered an authority on that subject. He was also probably the foremost authority on the history of Southwestern Pennsylvania. On the subject of an ancient man in this region he had no equal. He was a tireless student and observer, and had the rare faculty of inspiring like interest in those with whom he associated. He made many expeditions for scientific research into various parts of United State and Canada. In company with a group of historians he made an exhaustive study of the Braddock Road, walking the entire distance from Cumberland, Maryland, to the scene of Braddock's defeat near Pittsburgh. He made many similar expeditions along the Indian Trails of this region. On three occasions he made geological trips into the Southern Alleghenies; made a "From Ocean to Ocean By Daylight" study of the United States from St. Augustine, Florida, to Long Beach, California; conducted excavations among the Cliff Dwellers and Pueblo Ruins of Arizona and New Mexico; accompanied whaling excursions on the Pacific and made a study of the remains of ancient man on the Channel Islands off Southern California. One of the expeditions of which he had particularly fond recollections was the excavation of the famous tar pits of Rancho La Brea, California, where so many skeletons of pre-historic animals were found. Prof. Waychoff was a member of the State Historical Society of Ohio, and enjoyed the unusual distinction of having been granted by the State of Ohio the privilege of working with the State Archeologists in the excavation of the works of the Mound Builder Indians of the Ohio Valley. He was a special friend of Dr. W. C. Mills, Curator of the Ohio State museum.
Prof. Waychoff's last public address was delivered only a few weeks before his death, at the unveiling of the statue of Gen. Nathaniel Greene, at which time he presented many interesting facts about the history of Southwestern Pennsylvania. He took a leading part in the organization of the Greene County Historical Society, served as its first president, and was honorary president and head curator at the time of his death. He was also the author of the series of articles on Local History which is at present time appearing in the Democrat Messenger of Waynesburg.
Prof. Waychoff was born April 12, 1849, on Muddy Creek in Jefferson Township, Greene County, and was the son of Johnson and Delilah Rich Waychoff. An ambitious student, he determined to gain a college education and enrolled in Waynesburg College with which institution he was destined to be identified for the greater part of his career as an educator. During his student days he taught for a time in the West Liberty State Normal in order to secure funds with which to continue his education. He began teaching in the college as an assistant before he graduated in 1873.
Following his graduation he taught in the schools of Steelville, Missouri, after which he taught for one term in the Indiana State Normal School at Indiana, Pa. He then returned to Greene County and taught five years in the public schools before he became connected with the old Greene Academy at Carmichaels, one of the early educational institutions in this section of the state. After serving three years as Principal of Greene Academy he joined the faculty of Waynesburg College under Dr. A. B. Miller and has remained here ever since as one of the school's most faithful and energetic workers. Between 1887 and 1890 he was given leave of absence by the Trustees to accept the position of Superintendent of the Public School System of Greene County. He was Head of the Science Department and Vice President of the College for many years, and during his long career as an educator left his impress upon thousands of men and women to whom he has endeared himself and who now mourn his death. It is characteristic of his energetic disposition that when he made known his desire to retire from active teaching and was offered the position of Emeritus Professor in Waynesburg College, he requested rather that he be known as "on leave of absence in the scientific field for the college", and so his name appears in the catalogue of the College today.
Prof. Waychoff was married on November 26, 1873, to Miss Manty Mundell, who survives, with the following sons and daughters: Clyde C. Waychoff, of Bellevue, Ohio; Glenn A. Waychoff, of Tacoma, Washington; Attorneys Challen W. Waychoff, Roy J. Waychoff, and Andrew J. Waychoff, Jr., all of Waynesburg; Oma M., wife of Frank B. Hill, Waynesburg, and Nettie E., wife of Dr. Charles R. Meek, of Lorain, Ohio. He also leaves one brother, Hugh B. Waychoff, of Auburndale, Florida, and one sister, Mrs. Lana Stewart, wife of Prof. E. D. Stewart, whose son, Dr. Paul R. Stewart, is President of Waynesburg College. Prof. Waychoff also is survived by fifteen grandchildren, one of which, Miss Kathryn Waychoff, is now a senior in Waynesburg College. He has one great grandchild. In early boyhood he joined the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Muddy Creek and later transferred his membership to the Presbyterian Church at Waynesburg of which church he was a member at the time of his death.
Stricken with paralysis early in the morning of January 15, Prof. Waychoff passed peacefully away on Sunday night, January 16, without regaining consciousness. His funeral was held Wednesday afternoon, January 19, and was perhaps the largest ever held in Greene County, hundreds of people from all parts of the region and students from the college filling the spacious auditorium of the New Presbyterian Church to capacity. He rests in the cemetery of the Glades Church near Carmichaels, where he wished to be, in sight of many of the scenes of his boyhood and early married life.
We may by these words attempt to make fitting dedication to his memory, but never can such dedication be made as is now inscribed in the thousands of students and readers he has inspired to lives of greater observation and interest in the realms of Science and History."
All material within this
web site has been compiled by Candice Buchanan <email@example.com>
(63 W. Franklin St.; Waynesburg, PA 15370).
Data sources documented whenever possible. Contributors credited for shared information. Questions, feedback and contributions welcome.
Copyright © 2003-2008 Candice Buchanan. All rights reserved.